Sunday, February 12, 2012

Blog Post # 3

1. My assignment for this weeks post was to watch and read presentations on peer editing. The links I was assigned were the following; Paige Ellis' Blog, What is Peer Editing?, Peer Edit Perfection Tutorial, and Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. All of the links provided are very helpful in teaching how to peer edit. The three main steps of peer editing are give compliments, suggestions, and correction. Also, always stay positive!

2. After watching Technology in Special Education I realized that technology is very helpful in many ways and is making a huge difference in everyday life. Throughout this video it's shown that computers are very useful in helping students with disabilities learn. Each and every student has their own way of learning and difficulties. For example, some of the students in this particular video have problems speaking and writing and a computer helps them with these problems. I truly admire teachers who teach students with disabilities because they have a lot on their hands but love what they do and tend to do an amazing job at it.
Technology has become more and more advanced over the years. I think it's so great that technology has been incorporated into classrooms and is used for learning tools. As of now, I'm not exactly sure how I will use technology in my future classroom but I know that I will in some sort of way. I think computers, smart boards, IPad's and many other technological devices are a great way to make learning more fun and interesting.

The video How the IPad Works with Academics for Autism was such a touching video. The main character of this video is Braden whom is an autistic eight year old boy that's in the third grade. Braden uses the IPad as a tool to help him learn to write, spell, count, read and many other things. There are many different neat apps you can purchase on an IPad to help with learning. In the video Braden and his parents use a few apps to demonstrate how he learns, the apps are Toddler Counting, My First Words, and Kids Writing Pad. One app that really caught my eye is called TapSpeak Button. TapSpeak Button is an app which modernizes the idea of a mechanical switch that records and plays messages. This app is also very useful for teaching cause and effect relationships. As I read more into the information about this app I noticed that a comment was made by a costumer of this app, she said that her son has cp and is now able to speak thanks to this app. I thought that that was absolutely amazing and if one simple app came make someone with a disease have a voice then it can most likely be helpful to anyone in many ways.

3. Gary Hayes Social Media Count numbers change every single second. It is so incredible to see how many people expand their use of technology each second. This site practically allows you to view all the usage of technology all over the world and it even shows you a timeline of it. Literally every second of each day technology is being increased with it's usage. Technology today is so useful in many ways but at the same time people tend to waste their time with some types of technology. Though, technology will soon be if its not already, the main source in businesses and school systems. I know that I will use technology in my classroom as much as possible. I am eager to see what technology has in store for the future.

4. In the video,Vision of Students Today the students of Kansas State University show us how college students spend their time and money. I thought this video was very interesting! I liked the fact that this video's only sound effect was the back ground music. I was able to be engaged with the video because I had to read everything. Pretty much everything that was mentioned in this video is so true about college. College is literally like it's own world. The facts that stood out to me the most were 18% of my teachers know my name and I buy hundred dollar textbooks that I never open. I have learned by being a college student for the past three years that both of the facts are completely true. This brings me to think of technology and how computers have helped so much with learning. With using computers for class why does it matter what percent of your teachers know your name and why will books need to be bought. Although I don't agree with only using computers for class and learning I just thought it was a good point. Technology is great but I think it's obviously that it can be good and bad.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Please add images and hyperlinks to your blog. Look in the instruction manual for details about how to do this! I can tell that you have taken the time to really evaluate the assignments, but there are some basic requirements lacking.

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Integration of technology into All learning environments is important. I really liked your statement:

    " I truly admire teachers who teach students with disabilities because they have a lot on their hands but love what they do and tend to do an amazing job at it."

    I was glad that the university offered students to be duel certified. Watching that video really inspired me to teach in that field.

    I also was going to refer you to using images and hyperlinks but someone beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete