Monday, April 9, 2012

Blog Post # 10

children around the world

The first video I watched, Do you Teach or Do you Educate? was created by Josh Bloom, a student at EWYL Foothill College back in 2006. It seems to me that Josh may have created this video as a class assignment. When I first read the title of this video I figured that it would have many helpful tips and be very inspiring. It's obvious that Josh put a lot of time and hard work in to putting this video together, though it lacked the helpful tips and the desire to teach. I found myself confused as to the message he was trying to give. After watching this video a few times, still finding it boring and confusing, I came to the conclusion that overall it really made me think of why I want to be a teacher and be able to educate students. There are plenty of teachers throughout the country that only teach and don't educate. I chose to fulfill the career path as an educator because I want to go the extra mile and an inspiration to students by making a difference in their lives. I want to fully educate my students, and when I teach them how to do something I want to be successful in also teaching them why it should be done that way. I want my students to feel comfortable with asking any questions without feeling dumb, because no question is dumb. I am confident that I will be the teacher that students can feel comfortable around and inspire them to work hard and do the best they can. I will be an elementary teacher so I not only want to teach students their core subjects, but also confidence and belief in themselves.


Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home is a blog post written by Mr. Tom Johnson. This post was very interesting to read because it is written in a humorous quoted conversation which focuses on his reasoning for not allowing students to take pencils home with them. He states that with students taking pencils home standardized test scores will be lowered. He goes on to explain that pencils are meant for learning, but if students take them home parents can learn too, in this low income community. This post is a prime example that teachers have different methods of teaching, which is good. If every teacher is this country taught the exact same way then learning would be so boring. Although, Mr. Johnson doesn't approve of students taking pencils and paper home, he does believe students should still know how and be able to use a pencil and paper to do assignments. I found this post to be as a lesson because as educators we must never be close minded to different ways and methods of learning. I think Johnson's title of this blog post is to make educators think in a different way!
pencils

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blogpost. I too want to go the extra mile and be an inspiration to students. As teachers, we can make a difference in a childs live and point them in the right direction. I found it so absurd that the students were not allowed to take home pencils, because supposedly pencils lowered test scores. Nobody knows the exact cause of why test scores are lowered. I liked how Mr. Johnson found a solution to the problem instead of worrying and complaining about the problem. When we become teachers, we need to focus on how to solve issues and not let the issues stress us out. Good luck on becoming a teacher and furthering your education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not understand that Johnson's (Spencer's) commentary was an extended metaphor or allegory in which pencils were computers. Reread the post with that in mind.

    ReplyDelete